Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's a nice day to start again (don't look here FH-gown photo ahead)

So, I spent a lovely sunday afternoon watching bridal shows, specifically 'Say Yes to the Dress". SYTTD is a show originally based at a bridal store in New York called Kleinfeld, there's now a version based in Atlanta but we all try to pretend that doesn't exist like the 'Real Housewives Of Atlanta'...Look, we have Foxtel and I need to watch my $70 a month worth of crap okay!

In November 2009 my fiance and I went to NYC, (before he became my fiance of course). I had a dream that I wanted to be married in a gorgeous Claire Pettibone gown.
My now fiance insisted I try the gown as it may be my only chance, and a quick search of stockists revealed that Kleinfeld was the only NYC stockist so it was a done deal. After making the appointment online I received a call advising me that they record a show called 'Say Yes To The Dress' and were filming the day we were booked so not to be too concerned to see the crew. A few days later I got a VM from all the way there to all the way here asking if I'd like to be featured in the show since we were travelling all the way there from all the way here. Knowing it was a faux dress rehearsal there was no way I could so it, and thankfully we didn't as the gown was FREAKING DISGUSTING! I looked like a whale beached in lace-this was where I learned that you can't judge a dress on a rack as it looks completely different on and this is a lesson that goes both ways. Nothing was as terrible as that thing, even 'dead fish attached to a sack'* was nicer and it looked on the rack exactly as I describe...it sounds like all my dress shopping experiences were a massacre at Seaworld. No point going too much into the Kleinfeld experience as I did not Say Yes To The Dress.
Long story short, I found the dress and I said yes in Melbourne over a year later. The gown didn't come without dramas (as with the entire freaking wedding) but as FH said, "we're eloping but you still needed to feel like a bride and a nice gown will do that". I'm having a few modifications made- no train and not that strap (which I think I'll use the flowers from for a headpiece). I'm hoping to feel slightly bridey on the day :)
.







My dress-awwww.










*dead fish attached to a sack may not be as horrific as it sounds, it's just that it was a mermaid gown that looked like a sack with a fish tail attached when on rack

1 comment:

  1. Love your dress, it's gorgeous! I think I read on VF that you had regrets but you have no reason. once you get the alterations done you should hopefully feel more comfortable about it. The Claire's are so floaty and soft looking, those are very beach weddingesk

    ReplyDelete